How do I create a webhook?
Purpose: This guide will teach you how to create a webhook in BambooHR that allows you to monitor changes to specific fields.
Webhooks allow you to monitor changes for a specific list of fields. You can choose which fields you want to monitor and the frequency of monitoring. You can also choose to add other fields to the data that sends, such as an employee's name to help you monitor the changes to information. This data sends to a URL that you must provide; therefore, you will need help from a developer at your company to set up a webhook.
You can learn more about webhooks here.
To create a webhook, navigate Settings and select Account. Then, select Webhooks* and click + Add Webhook.
*If you do not see Webhooks, please contact a support hero to have this feature enabled.
- Webhook Name: Name the webhook.
- What fields do you want to monitor?: Select which fields you would like monitoring with this webhook.* Please note that only the fields in this list are available for monitoring with webhooks.
- What fields do you want to post?: Select which fields you would like to post along with your webhook. For example, you may want to post an employee's Employee # or their name with the fields you are monitoring to make it easier for you to keep track of the changes.
- What format should the data be in?: Select in which format you would like the data to be.
- Post to URL: This step requires a developer on your end to create a URL for posting the data changes.
Private Signature Key: Click + Generate Key to create a private signature key that can be saved and used to verify that the webhook came from BambooHR. When a Private Signature Key is used, the webhook is secured using SHA-256 HMAC.
- Note: This key can only be copied at the point it is generated, once the webhook is saved it is no longer available to view, and must be regenerated if lost. Click COPY KEY for safekeeping
- When should the data be sent?: Determine how often you would like the data to send.
After setting the webhook, click Save to create the webhook.
*Please note the webhook will only trigger and send the data when a change occurs to one of the monitored fields (not any additional fields you might also have selected in the data).
Are you interested in learning more about our partner integrations?