Earned/Used vs. Requests in the Time Off History
What is the Difference Between Earned/Used and Requests in the Time Off History?
Purpose: Your time off history is divided into two sections: Earned/Used and Requests. This guide will help you understand how to effectively view time off history and understand the difference between accruals given and requests submitted.
The Earned/Used table displays the detailed history for hours/days accrued and used up to the current point in time.
- Approved Requests: On the first day of the request period, BambooHR will deduct the full request amount from the current balance and place it in the Earned/Used table.
- Accruals: Automatic accruals stemming from the policy assigned to the employee.
When you click on "Requests", you will find the associated date, comment, status and amount requested for that specific type. There are five available status options for a request:
- Canceled: An employee may cancel a request while it is still pending, or after it has been approved as long as it has not yet occurred.*
- Requested: A request that is still pending or waiting for approval.
- Approved**: A request that has been approved. Notice that the "approved" message is an active link. This allows the employee or an administrator to edit or cancel the request using this link. The employee can only edit a request if it is in the future. Once the request is in the past, the administrator is the only one who can edit the request. If an employee edits an approved request, it will resubmit the request for approval.
- Denied: A request that has been declined. If you change your mind, as an administrator you can click on the Denied link and update the request to mark it as approved.
- Superseded: A request that was originally made by the employee but is then changed by the employee or higher level user. Once the request is changed, the previous request will show as superseded and the new changes will add a new request with a "requested" status. Superseded requests do not deduct from the employee's balance, but give a full history of the requests.
*For a request that spans over multiple days, it will be marked as having "occurred" if the first day of the period has begun.
**Only requests with an "Approved" status will be deducted from the employee's balance.