Paper Checks in TRAXPayroll
Purpose: The need for printing checks is slowly becoming less and less as many employees prefer direct deposit. However, there are still certain situations where printing a paper check for an employee is necessary. This help guide will show you everything you need to know about paper checks in TRAXPayroll from configuration, set up, printing on company check stock, and reporting.
You can customize the format of the check to align with your company check stock. To adjust the check configuration, navigate to the Company Pay Group tab in TRAXPayroll. Click Action then Make change - to correct existing record next to the applicable pay group.
Simply select the position of the check and then check or uncheck what fields you’d like to show. Descriptions of each field in the screenshot above will help you see where the information will be shown on the check. You can review what the check will look like when you go to print the check under the Reports tab.
Paper Check Options - Assign Check Number
Once your payroll has been approved, you will be able to print checks onto your company’s check stock and adjust check settings. To do so, go to the Pay Cycle section under the Reports tab and select Paper Check. Then, click Assign Check Number.
- Starting Check Number: Enter the number by which you would like to start numbering checks.
- Assign: Click here to renumber the remaining checks.
- Check Number: Check numbers will be assigned sequentially, starting with the number you entered as the starting check number.
- Edit: Click Edit to change an individual check number or make the check cashable immediately.
- Cashable Immediately: Checking the Cashable Immediately box will allow the print date to print on the check instead of a future pay date. This is useful for situations such as terminations where the check needs to be cashed immediately.
- Update & Cancel: Be sure to click Update to finalize your changes. Clicking Cancel will discard any changes made.
- Close: Once you have made all individual changes, click Close to navigate back to the Pay Cycle tab.
Printing a Check
TRAXPayroll does not offer check printing services. Your company will need to print the check on your own check stock. We do work with a company that can provide that service for you. Click here to learn more.
Now that your check format is configured and your payroll has been processed and approved, the employee(s) check is ready for print. Navigate back to the Reports tab, select Pay Cycle, and click on Paper Check within the Pay Stub box. Then click the applicable employee to see the preview of their paper check which will now reflect your updated check configuration settings. You can also select All Employees to view printable checks for multiple employees at once.
If you cannot get the configurations to match your specific company stock, consider printing the check amount from another internal system or writing the check physically. You may also consult your bank for update check stock.
Paper Checks Report
To review the correctness of check numbers listed for each employee, check out the Paper Checks report under the Adobe PDF Reports section.
Sometimes there are those rare situations where you have to pay an employee that same day and direct deposit does not process fast enough. For example, you’re terminating an employee who is based out of California and legally you have to pay them the day of termination. Below outlines the steps you need to take to make sure that happens:
1. Create a manual payroll run that only includes the employee(s) you will need to create a same-day check for. You will select which employees you will want to include in Step 1 of payroll by checking or unchecking the box next to their name.
Please note, you will need to assign the pay date two days in advance even though they will be paid that same day. We will show you how to update the date on the check, in a later step.
2. You will then need to make sure that the employee’s deposit method is set to a printed check. You can either do this on Step 2 of running the manual payroll by using the Global Payroll Update button or selecting the red Edit button next to the employee’s name. Under the Employee Bank Section, you will need to select Yes next to Override to printable check? Save your changes and move onto Step 3 of the payroll run.
3. Click on the employee(s) name in red to review the employee(s) pay stub. Double-check that the employee’s paycheck looks accurate and that they are set to a printable check. Then click Approve to process the payroll.
4. Now that the payroll is approved you can print the employee’s check but first, remember to update the check date to be the same date. Follow the steps outlined in the Paper Check Options - Assign Check Numbers section above and check the Cashable Immediately option.
5. You can now print the check on your company check stock and administer it to your employees within the same day. Follow the instructions in the Printing an Employee Check section for more help.