Request Time Off
How do I Request Time Off?
Do you prefer hands-on learning? Our interactive guides will walk you through different aspects of your Bamboo experience and we even have an interactive guide specifically designed to show you how to request time off. You can use the link below to access this guide. All you need to do is modify the "REPLACEME" with your BambooHR subdomain and you can get started!
Navigate to Home and click "Request Time Off" in the My Info widget.
Request Time Off
- Enter the date(s) of the time off request.
- Select the Time Off type.
- Enter the amount. The amount will default to the default number of hours per day or 1 day if you are tracking the time off type in days instead of hours. If a time off request is over a company holiday, the amount will automatically default to 0 for that day.
- Enter a note regarding the request.
- Future balance. This will show you what your balance will be for each time off type on the first day of your request. Click the calculator icon to change the date in order to see your future balances as of a different date.
- Send your request for approval.
Click here to learn more about what happens to a request once it has been submitted.
When an employee attempts to request time off that will result in a negative balance, a warning will be displayed. This warning will let the employee know what their available balance will be on the date of the request, as well as the negative balance that will result if they continue with the request.
The balance that you see on the time off tab is a running balance. It doesn't necessarily pertain to just one year. It is looking at the balances and totals at any given point in time. When you request time off before you have accrued more time, it will tell you that you will have a negative balance.
If your time off accruals are given yearly on January 1st and you request time off that spans the new year, it would give you a negative amount for your balance but then take that number from your balance when you accrue new time on January 1st. Therefore, if an employee uses all of the time they have been allotted in the current year, then they will have a negative balance until a new accrual has been received.
BambooHR can be set up to track carryover into the new calendar year. When a request is made that spans the new year, it is treated the same as any other request. The entire amount is subtracted from the balance on the first day of the request. However, the system is able to differentiate between time used before the carryover date and time used after the carryover date. Although it does not add a line of history specifically mentioning carryover, the total balance before the carryover date is what the system looks at when determining the carryover. It will automatically add in any allowed carryover to the new accrual before subtracting the time used after the carryover date.
- Balance before the request.
- Balance minus the entire requested amount. The amount is pulled on the first day of the request even though the request spans into the new year.
- Balance with new accrual plus the negative carryover from the previous year.