Create a Manual Payroll Run
Purpose: Manual payrolls are for off-cycle or additional runs such as terminations, bonus payouts, or underpaid employees. You can run manual payrolls from the Payroll Center. This help guide will show you how to create, process, and delete manual payroll runs.
Create a manual payroll run
To begin creating a manual payroll run, go to the Manual Payroll Run tab in the Payroll Center. Here, you can create an off-cycle payroll run.
- Pay Group: Select the applicable pay group, referred to as pay schedule in BambooHR, that will be part of the off-cycle payroll run.
- Start Date: Enter the payroll period start date. Start dates default to the day that has the run created, but you can edit the desired pay period start date if needed.
- End Date: Enter the payroll period end date. End dates also default to the day that has the run created, but you can edit it to reflect the necessary pay period end date.
- Pay Date: Finally, enter the pay date that you would like to process your run. Keep in mind that the date must be at least two business days in the future to allow time for processing.
- Create Payroll: Click the Create Payroll button to finish creating your off-cycle payroll run. Once created, you will arrive back at the Payroll Center to process it.
If paper checks get issued as part of the off-cycle run, companies often use their next regular payroll start, end, and pay dates to avoid an off-cycle debit to their bank account. However, you can still issue the checks when needed.
After arriving at the Payroll Center, you will see the manual payroll run available along with the regular payroll run(s). You can tell which run is the manual payroll you have just created by reviewing the dates and looking for the word Manual. You can select Run Payroll to start processing your payroll.
- Manual payrolls do not cost additional fees to process, though they may reflect the monthly base fee if it is your first payroll of the month.
- An employee's hours worked cannot be synced or imported into a manual payroll using the "Get Hours" button. Hours will need to be manually entered in Step 1.
- As always, you can suppress deductions to avoid over-collecting by using the Global Payroll Update button in Step 2.
- Taxes for all payments will always calculate based on the employee's tax elections unless manually changed under Edit in the employee record within Step 2.